2018 CMCA Biennial Submission Guidelines
Jurors: Kate Green, Guest Director of Marfa Contemporary, Marfa, Texas, and Robin K. Williams, Ford Curatorial Fellow at the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit, Detroit, Michigan.
Exhibition Dates: November 2018 – February 2019
Who May Apply: Artists with a strong connection to Maine (through full or part-time residency, exhibiting, creating artwork or studying here), working in any medium. Collaborative groups are welcome to apply together.
How to Apply: Applications will be accepted online only through CMCA’s submittable.com form.
Applications will be accepted from January 1 to April 2, 2018. You will be prompted to:
- Complete the application. Please provide your contact information, including your mailing address, email, phone number and website. Please provide the name of the town in Maine you are associated with if different from your mailing address and describe your Maine connection.
- Submit a current resume PDF. Please do not exceed 3 pages. Please title file: Lastname_resume
- Submit a current artist statement PDF. Please do not exceed 150 words. Please title file: Lastname_statement
- Work in all mediums created within the past two years will be considered. For video, performance, sound or installation works, please consider the physical layout and structure of the CMCA galleries and note any technical requirements. Artists are responsible for tech equipment beyond what CMCA currently holds. Project proposals will be considered for new work. Please upload your proposal materials in the proposal option as a pdf. For questions regarding this please contact Bethany Engstrom at email@example.com
- Upload up to 6 images, video and/or audio clips. Two of the images may be details. CMCA Artist Members* may submit an additional 4 images, either details or other work.
- File formats accepted: jpg, pdf, mp3, mov. Images must be 1920 pixels on the longest side. Audio and video files must not exceed 10M. Links to video are also accepted.
- Please title files: number_last name_title_year of work. Works must be numbered in the order you would like them viewed. For numbers 1-9, please add a zero in front. Eg: 01_Doe_Untitled_2017.jpg or 02_Doe_Untitled_detail_2017.jpg.
- Submit an image description list PDF, including title, date, medium, and dimensions in inches (height x width x depth) in numerical order corresponding with the uploaded images. You may also include a brief background description (50 words or less) related to the images and any special requirements. Please title file: Lastname_imagelist
- Applicants will be notified of selections on May 4, 2018 by email.
For assistance, please contact Bethany Engstrom at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Works submitted for the Biennial must be available for the duration of the exhibition if selected. If submitting a proposal, representative samples and sketches may be submitted if noted on the image description list. Work must be exhibition ready. Artists are responsible for the delivery and pick up of their work to and from CMCA.
*To become an Artist Member, visit: http://cmcanow.org/support/membership/. Artist Members receive unlimited free admission for one year, listing on our online Artist Directory and Open Studio Blog, discounts on workshops, lectures, and classes, and 10% discount on Gallery Shop purchases.